STORYLINES JANICE MARRIOTT MENTORING AWARD
|The Storylines Janice Marriott Mentoring Award was initiated in 2019.Janice has generously sponsored this special Storylines award, prompted because of her concern to build the quality and number of junior fiction manuscripts that successfully achieve publication.
Janice runs a private assessment and mentoring service called Go Write Now, accepting budding writers who pay a fee for editing and mentoring advice towards readying a manuscript for submission to a publisher.
The award offers her services free of charge to the successful applicant for the Storylines Janice Marriott Mentoring Award.
The award consists of the opportunity for mentoring experience for a previously unpublished New Zealand writer who wants to write for children.
- Storylines members can submit free of charge; non-members will pay a fee of $25 to help cover administration costs.
- The Award will be given annually to one successful applicant.
- It can only be awarded to any writer once.
- Only New Zealand resident unpublished writers are eligible to submit (using Storylines general criteria for ‘unpublished’ – see details in the award entry form and guidelines – link below). The New Zealand residency requirements are same as other Storylines manuscript awards.
- Janice and a panel of two Storylines judges will read proposals and select a mentee.
- Proposals must consist of a one-page outline and two sample chapters of a junior fiction novel.
- The Award will be the starting point for six months of ongoing mentoring to the successful candidate, during which time Janice will be available to encourage and advise.
- A work timeline will be agreed by the two parties. Dialogue will be by email, with two Zoom sessions arranged by Storylines.
- The award will be announced at the Storylines Margaret Mahy National Awards Day. Storylines will pay travel expenses for the successful writer to the event.
- The award will be reviewed annually, and will be dependent on Janice’s availability to commit for the following year.