The Nielsen Book Publisher of the Year award went to Mākaro Press, with the judges praising their expertise, appetite for risk and the company’s outstanding contributions to NZ literature. The Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to Bridget Williams of Bridget Williams Books (BWB) in recognition of her contribution to the Aotearoa publishing industry.
The Book Trade Industry Awards are a chance for the book trade to celebrate the best and brightest, successes and innovations, and to acknowledge the excellent work being done in the New Zealand book trade and have been going now over 20 years.
- Emerging NZ Publisher of the Year – Rachel Eadie, Penguin Random House New Zealand
- Emerging NZ Bookseller of the Year – Rafael Moreira, of McLeods Booksellers (Rotorua)
- Bestseller Award – Supergood by Chelsea Winter
- Marketing and Publicity Strategy of the Year – HarperCollins NZ for Impossible: My Story by Stan Walker, campaign manager Rebecca Thorne
- Aotearoa Booksellers’ Choice Award – Shared between Auē by Becky Manawatu (published by Mākaro Press) and Imagining Decolonisation by Rebecca Kiddle & Bianca Elkington & Moana Jackson & Ocean Mercier & Mike Ross & Jennie Smeaton & Amanda Thomas (published by BWB)
- NZ Salesperson of the Year – Jessica Rice, Penguin Random House New Zealand
- NZ Book Industry Innovation Award – Allen & Unwin
- Nielsen Book NZ Bookshop of the Year – Schrödinger’s Bookshop (Petone)
The Book Industry Awards are organised by Booksellers Aotearoa New Zealand and PANZ Te Rau o Tākupu (the Publishers Association of NZ) and sponsored by Nielsen Book, providers of data and statistical insight to the whole industry.