In 2021 the Dan Davin Literary Foundation is calling for expressions of interest from established New Zealand short story writers to undertake a Writer in Residence based in Invercargill for 3-6 weeks.
This is a new residency which we host on a biennial basis and started in 2019. This residency has been made possible through a generous bequest from Laurie King and the support of the Southern Institute of Technology.
In 2019 our inaugural writers in residents were Majella Cullinane and Maxine Alterio of Dunedin. They undertook a joint residency for 6 weeks in Southland. As part of their stay they went above and beyond hosting a range of workshops and public talks across the region. We appreciate the great start they gave us for this residency programme.
In 2021 we are looking to host the writers in residence programme again. This residency is for an established short story writer who wishes to spend 3-6 weeks in Southland. The residency includes a trip to Stewart Island and to Milford Sound for the writer as well as accommodation and a stipend. In return we ask that the writer provides writing workshops for Southland residents and if possible and appropriate participates in public engagements. We also ask that they provide some commentary on their experience for our facebook page and website.
The specific skills we are looking for from the resident are the ability to teach writing workshops.
In 2021 the Dan Davin Award for adults will be short story writing. The writer in resident may wish to be the judge for this competition.
- The Residency length is at the discretion of the resident but is expected to be between 3-6 weeks and should conclude at or around 1st of September (Dan Davin’s birthday)
- The Resident is expected to deliver the Dan Davin Lecture as part of the Dan Davin Award on or about 1 September
- Accommodation will be provided for the resident at Yule House, a historic home in Invercargill run by SIT. This is a 3 bedroom home which may be used by visiting tutors at SIT while the residency occurs
- It is expected that the resident will stay in the accommodation provided for the duration of the residency
- A stipend of $500 per week will be paid to the resident
- The Foundation will cover costs of one return trip to Invercargill
- Use of a vehicle will be arranged for the resident if required
- As part of the residency the resident undertakes no less than 2 workshops for high school students and adults
- The resident writes several blog or facebook posts which the Foundation can use to showcase the residency
- As part of the residency the Foundation will arrange a 2 night trip to Stewart Island and a Milford Sound experience
- A co-working space will be available for writing if requested
- This residency will not allow partners and children to stay at Yule House
If you are interested in applying for the Dan Davin Literary Foundation Writer in Resident please write to us care of email@example.com
Please provide the following information:
- A brief outline of your writing experience (note this residency is for established writers)
- A brief description of the work you would like to do
- Experience in tutoring both students and adults
- How many weeks you would be interested in being resident and proposed dates
- If the above expectations are suitable for you
Expressions of Interest close 31 March 2021. We expect to notify the successful applicant by the end of May 2021 following a short listing process.