Flash Fiction Workshop
Freshen Up Your Toolkit with Anita Arlov
Sunday 29 March 2020
12 noon – 2pm
New Lynn War Memorial Library
3 Memorial Avenue, New Lynn
Easy parking and close to train station!
Flash fiction is an ultra-short story (often 250 / 300 words, or one page) that focuses on a single event. It’s ‘tip of the iceberg’ stuff, explaining just enough – no more.
Examine ways to make your flash fiction zing and snap with lightning language, imaginative syntax and fierce editing. How can we say more by saying less?
We’ll practice using various starting points such as images, words and science articles for a flash writing exercise. You’ll leave with tips plus links to competitions and journals where you can submit your flash now. You may be enjoying writing this form already, or coming to flash from a background of creative writing. Either way, this friendly workshop is for you.
Refreshments and stationery provided. Tickets $15 00.
About Anita Arlov
- first place Divine Muses Emerging Poet Competition 2017
- convenor NZ Poetry Conference & Festival 2017
- winner National Flash Fiction Day Competition 2018
- runner-up takahē Monica Taylor Poetry Prize 2018
- second place Bath Flash Fiction Award June 2019
- shortlisted Bridport Prize for Flash 2019
- nominated for Pushcart Prize 2019
Anita manages and emcees Inside.Out Open Mic For Writers, held once a month at Cafe One2one, Ponsonby, and conducts flash fiction writing workshops.
To enrol: nationalflash.org
- Please pay your $15 here:
ANZ Acct No. 06-0350-0849733-00
Include your surname
and the code NFFDwkspA
- Email to complete your sign-up:
Queries: firstname.lastname@example.org / ph. 021 100 4077