Terms and Conditions of entry to the NZSA Laura Solomon Cuba Press Prize
- The winner of the prize will receive a cash award of $1000 as an advance and will receive a publishing contract with The Cuba Press.
- The prize is open to both published and unpublished authors.
- The prize is open to writing across genres ie fiction, creative non-fiction, memoir, poetry, children’s writing, and drama.
- The prize is judged within the criteria set by Laura Solomon, for new writing with a ‘unique and original vision’.
- The prize is open for entry to writers who are NZ citizens or permanent residents.
- The prize recipient will be at the discretion of the NZSA who will select the judging panels.
- Entries for the prize must be made on The New Zealand Society of Author’s website (authors.org.nz) by the advertised deadline (midnight, 31 January 2021), with the winner announced after judging has been completed.
8. The manuscript must be an unpublished work of between 40,000 and 100,000 words. Poetry manuscripts should be 70 to 100 pages in length.
9. The manuscript submitted must be complete.
10. Manuscripts entered in the competition must not be on submission to, or under contract with, any other publisher.
11. Self-published works in print or ebook may be submitted, but they must be withdrawn from sale if the manuscript is shortlisted.
12. Those entering the competition warrant that:
(i) Their entry is an original work.
(ii) That it is in no way whatever an infringement of any existing copyright or licence or any other right of any person.
(iii) That it contains no defamatory matter, or any matter which invade any individual’s rights of privacy.
(iv) All statements in the work purporting to be facts are true.
13. Each entry must be received by electronic submission, submitted by link on authors.org.nz, and must contain the following:
(i) A completed entry form, available from authors.org.nz.
(ii) The complete manuscript (double spaced) without the author’s name included.
(iii) A synopsis of no more than 200 words.
(iv) Author bio of no more than 50 words.
14. The submission is not valid until the required entry fee has been paid to the nominated bank account. $25 for NZSA members, $50 for non-members
15. All entries must be received by the nominated deadline.
16. An author may submit more than one manuscript, but each entry must be accompanied by a separate entry form and payment.
17. Hand-delivered submissions or posted submissions will not be accepted.
18. Shortlisted manuscripts will not be returned so writers must not submit any original documents.
19. The winner will be notified by phone and/or email.
20. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into either during or after the selection process.
21. Chance plays no part in determining the winner. Entries will be judged on the basis of the criteria set by Laura Solomon, for new writing with a ‘unique and original vision’.
22. Only one prize will be awarded in any one year.
23 The winner receives a prize of NZ$1000 which constitutes an advance against royalties and a contract with The Cuba Press.
24 The winning entry will be published by Cuba Press under the terms of a publishing agreement, which will be negotiated in line with industry norms.
25 The prize is not transferable and not redeemable for any other goods or services.
26 Those entering the competition accept the conditions of entry as prescribed and give their consent for their manuscripts to be considered for the prize.